Lead Engineer - Process
||Full Time - Permanent
||Australia - South Australia
||MCOE - Project Functions, Engineering/Ingeniería, Mining/Mina, Processing/Procesos, Projects/Proyectos Mayores
|| | Cen. Australia Standard Time
|| | Cen. Australia Standard Time
At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential.
With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities in operations and major projects. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where all team members feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
Come and join BHP Minerals Australia Projects Group at the Olympic Dam, a safe, reliable, globally competitive business supported by motivated people. At Olympic Dam, we care that everyone goes home safe to do the things they love. We believe leadership drives culture and culture drives performance. All incidents are preventable and everyone has a role to play in safety and success.
It’s an exciting time to be at Olympic Dam! In FY16, we exceeded 203 thousand tonnes of copper production, which is a record under BHP ownership. And, unlike other copper mines, Olympic Dam’s copper grade is increasing – so as we move into the Southern Mine Area, we’re accessing the 70% of the orebody that hasn’t been touched in the first 25 years of operation.
This grade opportunity provides options to increase production at Olympic Dam through low-risk, capital efficient underground development and optimisation of underground and surface infrastructure. So we’re looking for some truly exceptional candidates to study, and plan for future growth options to ensure Olympic Dam grows in a safe and sustainable way - delivering value for generations to come.
About the role
Reporting to the Engineering Manager, this role is accountable for the technical evaluation and engineering deliverables for the process areas, including Hydromet, Refinery, Leach, Concentrator and Smelter of a major brownfields project within BHP Olympic Dam.
This is an Adelaide based role.
In this role you will:
- Monitor the quality of the development and the timely delivery of the area specific engineering and engineering deliverables for the process design area
- Contribute to and monitor all trade-off studies and engineering scope optimisations being implemented across all areas by the Owners team, the Engineering Contractor and third parties
- Coordinate the timely input and output and delivery of process engineering deliverables and data
- Review Basis of Design (BoD) to ensure it describes the critical operation requirements and minimal technical solution that will deliver user requirements
- Provide specific process engineering input to value improvement practices
- Collaborate with Operations (Engineering, Maintenance and Production) to ensure end-user requirements are incorporated into the engineering deliverables for the power infrastructure area
- Drive the identification, evaluation and implementation of value improvement initiatives to optimise the value proposition study
- Clarify and provide technical guidance on engineering standards and processes to project team and engineering providers
- Provide the design intent during Commissioning and Construction planning and execution
- Review and challenge the existing OD engineering standards to ensure that the standards and specifications applied are fit-for-purpose, whilst controlling costs and maximising value
- Apply experience to steer developing designs towards best whole-life value, based on experience and good judgement
- Lead and develop a culture of Zero Harm
- Degree qualified in Chemical or Process Engineering
- Experience in the mining, mineral processing or heavy industry sector with exposure studies in major multi-disciplinary projects
- Knowledge of engineering standards and requirements applicable to large capital grown expansion related to a mining or mineral processing operation
- Experience in the deployment of on-stream and instream instrumentation and analysers, Advanced Process Control strategies and Management Information Systems
- Experience with technical document reviews and approvals, engineering management and supervisory of third party engineering providers
- Understanding of Safety in Design principles, statutory compliance and risk management
- Comfortable working across multiple levels within an organisation from operators in daily operations to senior managers
- Ability to mentor and develop others in the fit-for-purpose engineering standards
- Leading by example; hold yourself and others accountable and coach others in “Safety Leadership”
Supporting a diverse workforce
At BHP, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people.
We know there are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.
How to apply
Please apply online before 31 August 2017
Reference Number – 40369696
Please note, screening and interviews may take place prior to the advertised close date.
We support flexible work at BHP. Talk to us about the flexible working options in this team. Think Big! #LISA
Refer to a friend