Principal Geoscientist Structural Geology
||Full Time - Permanent
||Australia - Western Australia
|| | W. Australia Standard Time
|| | W. Australia Standard Time
BHP is a leading global resources company. The Minerals Australia group includes operated assets in Western Australia, Queensland, New South Wales and South Australia. The Minerals America group includes assets in Chile, Peru, Colombia, Brazil, US and Canada. Our assets focus on copper, iron ore, coal and nickel. The Petroleum group has global assets.
Reporting to the Vice President Geoscience Centre of Excellence, the key responsibilities of the Principal Geoscientist Structural Geology will be:
- Ensure conformance with the BHP Charter, the BHP “Our Requirements” documents, Code of Conduct and relevant statutory obligations
- An overriding commitment to health, safety, environmental responsibility and sustainable development
- Maintain oversight of structural geology application across BHP and actively provide expertise to assist with technical development, process embedment, capability development of geoscientists, improved productivity and business decisions
- Ensure timely provision of advice and support to improve geological models to support exploration, resource estimation and mining/extraction
- Develop and deliver applied structural geology training programs to upskill BHP geoscientists in ability and confidence to apply structural geology principles to daily work.
- Champion and manage the continuous development of application of structural geology in exploration and resource assessment, including data collection/storage/interpretation, hardware and software guidance
- Champion the use of integrated geoscience datasets across a range of scales to produce best-possible understanding of rock mass geometry through geological time
- Drive innovation & technology in assessment of structural geology across BHP, including assisting the Technology Strategy and Innovation team as required.
- Have oversight of structural geology applications across BHP and provide advice on those applications as required.
- Champion cross-region and commodity sharing and collaboration in structural geology practices
- Keep abreast of new technologies and new applications of existing technology to constrain rock geometry
- Develop and maintain strong links with external researchers, Resource Engineering Centre of Excellence, contractors and consultants.
Skills and Experience
As the successful candidate you will possess the following:
- Minimum Honours degree in Geoscience with relevant postgraduate qualifications desirable
- Global recognition for structural geology expertise
- Minimum ten years’ experience with a focus on applied structural geology in petroleum, mining or exploration
- Strong field experience in structural mapping (global and across multiple commodities)
- Demonstrated superior communication and influencing skills
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with internal and external stakeholder’s
- Demonstrated business acumen and established links with external researchers and consultants
- Delivery of training programs in the application of structural geology desirable
- Demonstrated ability to integrate multiple geoscience datasets (geology, geophysics, geochemistry, geochronology)
You will be based in Perth, Western Australia, in the multi award winning office tower - 'City Square'. You will have stunning river views from your modern open plan office, state of the art facilities including virtual whiteboards and video conferencing facilities, 550 bicycle racks with ample lockers, showers and change room amenities and a large outdoor terrace with barbecues.
Remuneration and Benefits
Join us and be rewarded with interesting, challenging work in a supportive team culture. Develop skills for life whilst enjoying access to benefits including: incentive bonus, award winning share scheme, education assistance and generous superannuation scheme.
Reference Number – 40360381
- We reserve the right to commence recruitment proceedings immediately.
- This opportunity is currently only open to candidates with the right to work in Australia.
- BHP Iron Ore is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages indigenous Australian and female candidates to apply. (#LIWA)
Refer to a friend